LFI undertakes expert analysis of paint, metallic and non-metallic coatings in order to identify the cause(s) of failure, damage or degradation.
Paints and other coatings, either metallic, ceramic or polymer-based, are used to protect or improve the mechanical or physical properties of the underlying component, product or structure. Examples of such coatings include:
- Paints, both organic (e.g. alkyd, epoxy) or inorganic (e.g. silicate) used for domestic, commercial and industrial applications.
- Metallic, e.g. galvanising (zinc), ‘chrome’ plating (chromium), thermal metal spraying (zinc, aluminium),
- Anodising of aluminium and aluminium alloys (the creation of a protective surface oxide layer)
- Ceramic, e.g. thermal barrier coatings (e.g. plasma sprayed coatings), Titanium Nitride by Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD)
- Polymer, e.g. powder coating, polyurethane coating
At LFI we investigate the failure, damage or degradation of a wide range of painted finishes, metallic and non-metallic coatings.
By applying expertise in the examination, testing and characterisation of these coatings we can help you to understand the causes and issues surrounding the incident.
Typical causes or factors may include:
- A materials defect, such as contamination or incorrect formulation
- A manufacturing/application defect, e.g. incorrect surface preparation, an absence of ‘primer’ layers, improper drying/curing
- Mechanical failure, e.g. excessive or unintended loading.
- Exposure to low or high temperatures
- Oxidative, environmental or chemical attack and degradation
- Improper design or specification
Some examples of the types of incidents we can investigate are:
- The corrosion of galvanised roof decking sheets, caused by perforations in the polymer-based surface coating
- The cracking and flaking of an alkyd paint coating applied to a commercial building
- Discolouration of anodised aluminium due to variations in chemical compositional
- Corrosion of a ‘chrome’ plated automotive component due to contamination
- UV degradation of a powder-coated steel sheet used for a building façade
Get in touch
However, this is only a very small sample. Please contact our expert team to discuss any incidents that fall within this or any of our other specialist areas
Alernatively, you can find our details on our contact us page.